Thursday 2 September 2010

Lady on the train

I started reading Just Another Mzungu Passing Through on the train up to London today, a rather clunky account of a Welsh school teacher's two-year stay in Kenya. Anyway, it obviously wasn't holding my attention as I found myself waking up from a disorientating slumber just as the train pulled in to Paddington. The lady sitting next to me - she must have got on the train at Reading (ironically) - pointed at the book and said: "That's a swahili word [Mzungu]. That's my language." Turns out she was from Kenya. As she was standing up to get off the train, I discovered that her mother lives in Iten - the epicentre of Kenyan running. I was still just waking up. People were reaching for their bags, getting off the train. She gave me her email and said to contact her when I was out there. And then she was gone.

2 comments:

  1. Talking of Mzungu...check out my buddy Espen (I didnt know he had a wiki page!)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mzungu_Kichaa

    ReplyDelete
  2. synchronicity...or one of those mysterious helpers you get in fairy tales...

    ReplyDelete